Domaine du Daley – Fleuron de Villette, a story of families and tradition since 1392
The oldest documents date back to 1392, with a deed of gift of a vineyard located in Daley by a certain Gérard Mistralis to the Chapitre of Saint-Nicolas in Freiburg. The document is proof of grape cultivation on this location more than 600 years ago.For more than five centuries, the Domaine du Daley belonged to the Chapitre of Saint Nicolas in Freiburg. It was purchased in 1937 by Charles Bujard, who was a great lover of winemaking. He modernised the cultivation of this magnificent vineyard, which enjoys a full southern exposure halfway up a hillside above a beautiful lake.
The grapes were cultivated by two families of winegrowers. This tradition was kept alive for many years, a period of observation and reflection. Later on, just one winemaker, Julien Séverin, was given responsibility for cultivation and for the taking on of help for all of the work necessary. He had been working on the Estate since 1933 and participated in the major reorganisation of the vineyards (partly into terraces) and attended numerous winemaking festivals, always accompanied by his trumpet, bringing joy and good humour.